Key Marine Biotechnology application areas
Marine ecosystems and organisms are largely unexplored, understudied and underexploited, in spite of their potential to provide a major contribution towards addressing some of the most pressing societal challenges, including environmental degradation, human health and delivering sustainable supplies of food and energy. By solving some of these Grand Challenges marine biotechnology also holds potential for industrial innovation and responsible growth in Europe.
The sections listed below look at the potential of marine biotechnology to provide solutions to the Grand Challenges and a source of socio-economic growth and prosperity to countries investing in marine biotechnology.
- Marine Biotechnology securing Food supply
- Marine Biotechnology securing alternative sources of renewable Energy
- Marine Biotechnology securing Human Health
- Marine Biotechnology securing Industrial Products and Processes
- Marine Biotechnology securing Environmental Health