MarBEF supported World Register of Marine Species launched after 1st Marine Taxonomy Workshop in Oostende June 2008.
The news was reported in at least 21 stories in 9 languages distributed by 14 newswires, which also appeared on more than 275 media websites across 27 countries.
The release also generated several electronic media stories, including the BBC World Service (The World Today), Deutche Welle, Radio NZ, TV NZ, CBC Radio, National Public Radio and a New Jersey TV news show.
Some of the story lines:
- : Wrong names for fish seen complicating conservation</a>, by Alister Doyle [REUTERS]. This was a.o. picked-up by Scientific American</a>, who also published a nice <a href=‘http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=fishing-poll-taking-a-census-of-ocean’>slide show</a>.
- <a href=‘http://www.livescience.com/animals/080625-marine-list.html’>Scientists Struggle to Keep Up With Marine Life Discoveries</a>, by Clara Moskowitz [LiveScience]
- <a href=‘http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=42964’>BIODIVERSITY: O Sponge, Your Names Are Many</a>, by Stephen Leahy [IPS]
- <a href=‘http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=220&sid=1428512’>Scientists seek to sort sundry names for sealife</a>, by Randolph E. Schmid [AP]
- <a href=‘http://www.earthportal.org/news/?p=1323’>Effort to create global marine database sprints forward</a>, by Allison Winter [Greenwire]
- <a href=‘http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080625/science/science_marine_names’>Scientists say many marine species known by handful of names or more</a>, by Lyndsie Bourgon [The Canadian Press]
- <a href=‘http://environment.newscientist.com/channel/earth/deep-sea/dn14206-how-many-species-live-in-the-sea.html’>How many species live in the sea?</a>, by Catherine Brahic [New Scientist]
- <a href=‘http://news.mongabay.com/2008/0701-hance_coml.html’>Census of marine life opens with 122,000 species</a>, by Jeremy Hance [Mongabay]
- <a href=‘‘>Marine species entangled in extra names</a>, by Randolph E. Schmid [MSNBC]
- <a href=‘http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,371701,00.html’>Registry to Clear Up Marine-Life Naming Confusion</a> [Fox News]
- <a href=‘http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2008-06-25-marine-census-aliases_N.htm’>Sea life goes by many aliases</a> [USA Today]
- <a href=‘http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/jun/26/single-species-dozens-of-names/’>Single species, dozens of names - Ocean census sorts it all out</a>, by Jennifer Harper [The Washington Times]
- <a href=‘http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7473707.stm’>Register clears out 'fishy' names</a> [BBC]
- <a href=‘http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/06/25/fishaliases.ap/’>Scientists find multiple names when cataloging sea creatures</a> [CNN]
- <a href=‘http://blogs.nature.com/news/thegreatbeyond/2008/06/ocean_census_reveals_the_beast.html’>Ocean census reveals the beast with 56 names</a>, by Daniel Cressey [Nature.com]
- <a href=‘http://timesonline.typepad.com/environment/2008/06/more-than-56000.html’>Census of the seas kills off thousands of marine species</a>, by Lewis Smith [Times of London]
- <a href=‘http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/jun/26/wildlife.conservation’>Marine census clears halfway mark by listing over 120,000 species</a>, by Ian Sample [Guardian]
- <a href=‘http://www.philly.com/inquirer/magazine/20080707_Many-named_species_pose_registry_problem.html’>Many-named species pose registry problem</a>, by Tom Avril [The Philadelphia Inquirer]
- <a href=‘http://www.radionz.co.nz/__data/assets/audio_item/0005/1619609/aft-20080630-1546-Science_Report_-_A_Register_of_all_Marine_Species-wmbr.asx’>A Register of all Marine Species</a>, Mark Costello on Radio New Zealand National
- <a href=‘http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2008/pc/pod-v-110708-39m32s-mooney.mp3’>Life IN the Ocean Wave</a>, Edward Vanden Berghe on Irish radio (RTE)