Category:Sand Dune Inventory of Europe (Doody ed. 1991 & 2008)
This article introduces the inventory of sand dunes in Europe. It also provides links to the series of country reports.
Sand Dune Inventory of Europe
The 'Sand Dune Inventory of Europe' (Doody ed. 1991)  was prepared under the umbrella of the European Union for Dune Conservation [EUDC]. The original inventory was presented to the European Coastal Conservation Conference, held in the Netherlands in November 1991. It attempted to provide a description of the sand dune vegetation, sites and conservation issues throughout Europe including Scandinavia, the Atlantic coast and in the Mediterranean.
The occasion of the meeting ‘Dunes and Estuaries’ an International Conference on Nature Restoration Practices in European Coastal Habitats, held at Koksijde, Belgium, on the 19-23 September 2005 prompted the production of a revised inventory (Doody 2005)
The original inventory provided the basis for revision and updating took place using additional published information sources. For a few countries either the original contributor or others working on sand dunes in the geographical area provided information. Where these individuals and others have provided additional information there is a note in the individual country accounts. The internet was also an additional source of information and contacts, with relevant web-site URLs given.
The Coastal Commission of the International Geographical Union (Union Géographique Internationale) adopted the inventory as a project, publishing details in their newsletters. Thanks to Professor Norb Psuty and other members of the commission for their help. Publication of this revised edition coincided with the International Sand Dune conference “Changing Perspectives in Coastal Dune Management”, 31 March - 3 April 2008, Liverpool, UK, (Doody ed. 2008).
This edition was intended to include revised chapters for all the countries from the first edition as well as new chapters for those not covered then. In the event, it proved difficult to revise all the chapters and hence for several countries the descriptions include only minor editorial changes. There are new chapters for some of the Baltic States, Cyprus and Israel and extended chapters covering Poland and Germany. However, there is great scope for the descriptions to be improved. In order to facilitate this individual chapters have been imported into the ‘Coastal Wiki’. Individuals are encouraged to add to, revise and update the contributions on an ongoing basis.
Sand dune country articles
Sand dune articles for the following countries can be accessed from here:
Belgium; / Bulgaria; / Croatia, Montenegro and Albania; / Cyprus; / Denmark; / Finland; / France; / Great Britain; / Greece; / Iceland; / Ireland; / Israel; / Italy; / Latvia; / Lithuania; / Netherlands; / Norway; / Poland; / Portugal; / Romania; / Spain; / Sweden; / Turkey
- Doody, J.P., ed., 1991. Sand Dune Inventory of Europe. Peterborough, Joint Nature Conservation Committee/European Union for Coastal Conservation.
- Doody, J.P., 2005. Sand Dune Inventory of Europe. In: Proceedings ‘Dunes and Estuaries 2005’ – International Conference on Nature Restoration Practices in European Coastal Habitats, Herrier J.-L., J. Mees, A. Salman, J. Seys, H. Van Nieuwenhuyse and I. Dobbelaere, eds. Koksijde, Belgium, 19-23 September 2005. VLIZ Special Publication 19, 45-54.
- Doody, J.P., ed. 2008. Sand Dune Inventory of Europe, 2nd Edition. National Coastal Consultants and EUCC - The Coastal Union, in association with the IGU Coastal Commission.
Please note that others may also have edited the contents of this article.
Pages in category "Sand Dune Inventory of Europe (Doody ed. 1991 & 2008)"
The following 24 pages are in this category, out of 24 total.
- Sand dune - Country Report, Belgium
- Sand dune - Country Report, Croatia, Montenegro and Albania
- Sand dune - Country Report, Cyprus
- Sand dune - Country Report, Denmark
- Sand dune - Country Report, Estonia
- Sand dune - Country Report, Finland
- Sand dune - Country Report, France
- Sand dune - Country Report, Great Britain
- Sand dune - Country Report, Greece
- Sand dune - Country Report, Iceland
- Sand dune - Country Report, Ireland
- Sand dune - Country Report, Italy
- Sand dune - Country Report, Latvia
- Sand dune - Country Report, Lithuania
- Sand dune - Country Report, Norway
- Sand dune - Country Report, Poland
- Sand dune - Country Report, Portugal
- Sand dune - Country Report, Spain
- Sand dune - Country Report, Sweden
- Sand Dune Inventory of Europe - Israel
- Sand dune types - Europe
- Sand Dunes in Europe