From Coastal Wiki
Biodiversity is an all-inclusive term to describe the total variation among living organisms of our planet. In its simplest form, biodiversity or biological diversity Genetic diversity refers to the genetic variation that occurs among members of the same species, Species diversity (taxonomic diversity) refers to the variety of species or other taxonomic groups in an ecosystem, Ecosystem diversity refers to the variety of biological communities found on earth (with ecosystem diversity we generally consider its two levels, that is, communities and ecosystems) and Functional diversity refers to the variety of biological processes, functions or characteristics of a particular ecosystem.
Introduction to MarBEF
MarBEF Data Management
Human impacts and disturbance
Valuation and marine planning
The rise and fall of biodiversity
Outreach and training
In the news
World Register of Marine Species launched
MarBEF supported World Register of Marine Species launched after 1st Marine Taxonomy Workshop in Oostende June 2008,
The news was reported in at least 21 stories in 9 languages distributed by 14 newswires, which also appeared on more than 275 media websites across 27 countries.
The release also generated several electronic media stories, including the BBC World Service (The World Today), Deutche Welle, Radio NZ, TV NZ, CBC Radio, National Public Radio and a New Jersey TV news show.
Some of the story lines:
- Wrong names for fish seen complicating conservation , by Alister Doyle [REUTERS]. This was a.o. picked-up by Scientific American, who also published a nice slide show.
- How many species live in the sea? , by Catherine Brahic [New Scientist]
- Registry to Clear Up Marine-Life Naming Confusion [Fox News]
- Single species, dozens of names - Ocean census sorts it all out , by Jennifer Harper [The Washington Times]
- Register clears out 'fishy' names [BBC]
- Scientists find multiple names when cataloging sea creatures [CNN]
- Ocean census reveals the beast with 56 names , by Daniel Cressey [Nature.com]
--Warda 12:38, 5 November 2008 (CET)
What are Portals? | List of portals