Quinoxyfen is the active ingredient in many fungicides used to control powdery mildew infections on grapes and hops. It can not control existing or latent infections, therefore, the pesticide must be applied before infections occur. At room temperature it appears as an off white flocculent solid .
Quinoxyfen has a low water solubility of 0.047 mg/l and is expected to adsorb to soils and organic matter. Although it is relatively fast degraded in water (half-life of less than 20 days), it's quite stable in soils (half-life up to 200 days). Removal of quinoxyfen from the system by degradation can therefore take more than 500 days. From surface water it has a low tendency to evaporate into the atmosphere, where it is rapidly (within a few days) degraded .
Concentrations above 0,200 mg/l cause acute toxicity in fishes, continued exposure to concentrations above 0.014 mg/l are also expected to be lethal. Quinoxyfen concentrations above 0,025 mg/l can also cause acute toxicity to aquatic invertebrates and algae. Considering that quinoxyfen might biomagnify through food chains there might be risk for secondary poisoning. It might cause toxic effects when mammals consume each day more than 20 mg quinoxyfen per kg of body weight.
Environmental standards and legislation
- CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF PESTICIDE REGULATION 2004 PUBLIC REPORT 2004-01 Quinoxyfen
- EUROPEAN COMMISSION 2003 COMMISSION WORKING DOCUMENT 6781/VI/97-Final Quinoxyfen
Please note that others may also have edited the contents of this article.